Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday's Rants and Raves. Today's Rave: True Treasures by Teach Magazine


I am beginning the “rants and raves in review” section of my blog with True Treasures, a collection of 10 years of TEACH magazine. This week is definitely a rave! As a woman, a wife, a mother, a teacher and a daughter of God, I found many pearls of wisdom tucked neatly into the pages of this book/magazine. Each time I picked it up, I found something that touched me right where I was at.

When True Treasures arrived, I excitedly opened the package. Before me was not any ordinary magazine. The rich colors of the cover drew me in. The woman’s silhouette could be any of us. The words in-between the lovely binding could be all of our stories. I found myself leafing through the pages, looking for bits of wisdom that would help me become a better mom and advice on strengthening my marriage.

One of the first articles I read was “I’m a Homemaker…Period” by Phyllis Sather. I saw myself in Phyllis. I heard myself saying those same words and smiling when I realized I too find myself justifying why I am a stay at home mom. You are right Phyllis, I am a homemaker. That is what I do. Everything else is extra. And nothing else is going to have more impact. Thank you for this reminder. I needed it this week.

Someone in our family has been sick during the past four weeks. We were just getting our energy back when my son, who already had one round of the bronchial cold/cough, started coughing again. It’s tough being a wife, a teacher, an author, a speaker and all the other roles placed upon us moms when one of our children is sick. Yes, we pick up the pace, fill in the gaps (possibly turn in a late writing assignment here or there) and make more frozen pizza than ordinarily on our neatly scribed, planned out menus. When I read Lori Flem’s article “Slow and Steady”, I was reminded that not everything is going to work out the way my planner says it should. When I look back at what I have accomplished during our “down” days, I realize I accomplished much. I spent many days snuggled with my son, cuddling, watching movies and reading. Again, an article in this magazine touched my life when I needed encouragement the most.

My husband and I home school our son. There are days I question my sanity and there are days I am absolutely certain this is the absolute best option for our family. I love that there is a complete section on homeschooling in True Treasures. If I’m feeling discouraged or need a little pick me up, I can head to True Treasures and take a few “me” minutes. In fact, there are also sections for homemaking, marriage, parenting and articles just for me; articles that will help me become the woman God is calling me to be.

True Treasures can be found at http://www.homemakingwithteach.com/. I received this product for honest review from TEACH Magazine as a part of The Gabby Moms blogging program. All opinions expressed are solely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment