Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's That Time of the Month!


Alright, let’s face it. There is a certain time of the month when our husbands wonder who we are and what happened to their wonderful, witty, sweet, beautiful wives. Last week, my husband was asking that very question. The poor guy, I really felt sorry for him. I went from being mad to bawling my eyes out. He had no clue what he had done. I’m not sure I knew either, but I know he did something! Sound familiar?

The fact is, we women go through hormonal changes every month before our cycle that distort our thinking process, our logic, our feelings and emotions, our patience and our ability to simply function the way we normally do. I know you may take exception to these thoughts and differ with me, but if you honestly evaluate yourself, you will agree with me. I’m not saying every one of us experience all of these debilitating characteristics to their fullest extent every month. I am saying to one degree or another we experience one or more of these each month. There are months I simply get a little emotional. Other months I have absolutely no patience. I think you get the idea.

It seems as if God has thrown us a curve ball. Our physical bodies are leading us down one path, a path where our actions and our words are often times the exact opposite of God’s nature. And He’s the one who made us with all these raging hormones and fluctuating moods. That does not give us the right to follow our flesh. It does give us the opportunity to overcome our flesh and win the prize.

I Corinthians 9:24-27 reads like this: Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.

I don’t want to be led around by emotions and mood swings like a dog on leash…do you? I want to discipline my body and bring it into subjection. I want the Holy Spirit to lead me, not my flesh. It’s time we stop making excuses for ourselves and learn to be temperate in all things. It’s time we put an end to “it’s that time of the month!”

No comments:

Post a Comment