Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cleaning House


On Friday of this past week, I subjected my physical body to a good cleansing. I don’t mean my daily shower or my personal grooming habits. I am talking about the inside, the parts I can’t see, those that work behind the scenes. The parts that keep our body operating; the liver, the kidneys, yeah…those parts that you can’t reach with a loofah, need a good cleansing every once in a while too.

There are times that getting positive results come from doing something that isn’t particularly pleasant. For instance, many people do not like exercising, yet, exercising is very good for us. In my experience above, I had to drink a very nasty concoction that left a bad taste in my mouth for the better part of 24 hours. It wasn’t a fun experience, but it was very good for me. I feel better. I feel healthier. It was worth the unpleasantness. Because of it, I want to eat better and treat myself with more respect.

If our physical bodies need cleansing, how much more do our spiritual bodies need soaping? My thoughts are not always Godly. My actions do not always portray the will of God for my life. My tongue does not always speak life. My heart does not always love. My actions often times give me away. I am a sinner, yet, I am saved by grace. I thank God daily that He loves me enough to show me the error of my ways.

Our children can attest to the fact that discipline doesn’t feel good. If we remember back to our childhoods, we know from personal experience that discipline hurts. Yet, we know that it is necessary. Without discipline, our children will not learn right from wrong. If we fail to do our job as parents, the ones that God has entrusted to us will have a harder time becoming the men and women God has called them to be.

Hebrews 12:6 states: “For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.” It doesn’t feel good getting disciplined by God, does it? I know. I have been the recipient of a holy “spanking” more than once. God desires for me to “clean” house. With His help I will think Godly thoughts. I will listen to His bidding and act accordingly. I will choose to speak life. I will choose to love. I will choose to live a holy life, submitted and obedient to the Holy Spirit. I know there will be times that things get messy. I also know that God will be with me, enabling me to clean up the cobwebs and dust, making my home fit for a King.

No comments:

Post a Comment