Friday, July 9, 2010

My Bubble

Recently God has revealed to me the invisible bubble that surrounds me. My own little world. My family. My home. The center of my own little universe, right here where I live. I have become too comfortable in my own skin. I have forgotten, not with a “wow, I didn’t realize people out there were hurting and dying, slaves to sin” kind for forgetting, but more of a “Yeah, I know people are out there hurting and I am writing my books, and the words God has given me are going to make a difference in someone’s life” kind of forgetting. The difference is in my compassion and my over all acceptance of ‘this is how things are’, what could I do anyway? I have become a sheltered Christian. This is so far away from my roots, how could I have let this happen? I used to cry many tears knowing that children are going to bed hungry, unloved and alone. What has happened to me? I used to be ‘a hands on’ type of gal…now I’m more an ‘I’ll pray for you’ kind of gal.

I believe the one thing that keeps us compassionate, concerned and committed to making change is our travels though valleys of our own. It is not on the mountain that we learn to make a difference; it is in the valleys. On our climb, our assent, we take what we learned while in the pit and help those around us. The memories are fresh, vivid and alive. We can take the experiences and turn them into life for others. We can feed the hungry and clothe the poor. We can give hope to the hopeless and bless those who curse us. Not because we are better or wiser. But because we have been there. We have been hungry, poor, hopeless and bitter. We can relate and encourage. Let us determine today, right now, to be difference makers. I challenge you to make a difference in someone’s life today. You may have the opportunity to travel to a third world country to help feed the poor and outcast. You may know someone who is sick and is need of a good pot of chicken soup. No matter where you are or what your financial status is, find a way to help someone else. In doing so, the person you will be helping the most is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment