Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Time to Leave the World Behind!


Once up a time, I had a dream. In fact, until yesterday this dream has been living and thriving within me.

Being a musician, both a songwriter and a singer, I have always had it in my head and heart that someday, somehow I would win a Grammy. I even know which song of mine that will win that Grammy. While I don’t often talk about winning one, I do think about it. Especially around this time of year.

Yesterday, I felt something change. Instead of the yearning, I felt a separation, a distancing, if you will from that dream. As I read post after post about the artists and their performances, I realized that I did not want to be affiliated or aligned with this world any more than I have to be. Suddenly the separation I felt became more of a prompting to “run as fast as I can and never look back” kind of feeling.

All this was before I learned of Katy Perry’s performance, or the multiple gay weddings, or the duet between Jay Z and Beyonce. It was before I saw the pictures of demons and scantily clad sex scenes playing out live on stage.

There comes a time when the world just stops having a hold on us. Now, I will always continue to love God’s gift of music. I refuse to give credence to Satan and man’s distortion of such a wonderful gift. And yes, the above singers definitely have been given a gift. It is what they do with that gift that disturbs me.

After seeing post upon post on Facebook, I realized how fixated we as a society are on the offerings of the world. I didn’t see a pattern. I saw Christians oohing and ahhing along with non-Christians. I saw Christians commenting on the clothes…as well, as non-Christians. And I’m not condemning. I’ve done it myself. My question to those of us who have, is why?


Then, this morning I wake up and read a little bitty post on some obscure site that mentions Natalie Grant, a Christian singer, leaving the Grammy’s early because (as she states on Twitter): "We left the Grammy's early. I've many thoughts about the show tonight, most of which are probably better left inside my head. But I'll say this: I've never been more honored to sing about Jesus and for Jesus. And I've never been more sure of the path I've chosen."

I cannot accurately describe the feelings that were welling up in me. Here is this woman who, in her statement, judged no one…yet stood for righteousness and truth. I have never been more proud of a Christian in the spotlight. I can imagine the pull of the cameras, the lights, the glitz, the money, the beauty, and the fame. I can also imagine the buildup beforehand and then the letdown when she knew beyond a shadow of doubt it was time to leave the world behind.

That’s okay, Natalie. You have stamped and cemented the name of Jesus on this land today. You are a reminder to all of us that what we do isn’t for the accolades or the fame, it’s about glorifying Jesus. Thank you for loving Him more than His created.

No comments:

Post a Comment