Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's All About the Love!

I have heard it again and again. Jesus is love. He wants us to love one another. He wants us to embrace each other and be all about the love.

Is this the 60’s all over again?


What about the time Jesus was angry and over turned the money tables in the temple? Should we remove that from the Bible?

If Jesus got so angry over money…over people cheating one another in His house, then I wonder how angry he is going to be over abortion? I have heard people justifying their voting because come on, let’s face it…we can’t change it. So, what’s the point? Yeah, I’m glad I didn’t use that argument cause I don’t think it’s going to fly standing face to face with God. Oh…what I am saying? I forgot…God is all about the love. Ooops. My bad.

See, I’m all about the love too. But I understand one important concept the world is forgetting about…and some Christians too…and that is, grace is dependent upon repentance. Jesus told the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more. He didn’t give her a hug and say, honey, I love you…just keep on keeping on. It’s all about the love!


I have heard the teaching, and I completely agree with it, that our actions elicit reactions from God. We sow…he produces the harvest. We work…he brings the increase. We trust, he provides. We repent, he forgives. But, if repentance is removed from the equation…then God has nothing to react to. Do you now see a problem with the current thinking and teaching in many churches today? We are not preaching repentance. It’s all about the love.

If it’s “all about the love” then what happens to these verses?

Luke 13:3: No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Acts 3:19: Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out,

Acts 17:30: The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, (did you catch this one? There will be no excuses. How many people will look to you and say…but you said God loved me no matter what?)

How about Matthew 3:2: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Folks, these are all New Testament verses. I shudder to think how long this blog post would be if I included even half the verses from the new testament, let alone the old testament.


Are you getting this? Do you understand? Love by itself is just love. Love coupled with repentance…well that is another story! Many churches are going to stand before God and they won’t be able to do any fancy talking. See, it’s not all about the love. God even loves those people who choose to spend eternity in hell. See, the “love” isn’t going to save them. It’s repentance that leads to spending an eternity with our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment