Thursday, October 11, 2012

It's Not My Fault...OR IS IT?

The climate is politically charged, can you tell?

I can. I am a political kind of gal. For this current election I have tried to maintain some kind of emotional control. It’s not easy for me. Certain things get me riled up. Certain issues are hot buttons for me.


I am a staunch conservative. I am not middle of the road. I’m like as far to the right as right goes. Yeah, I’m for guns and for freedom of speech, I’m against abortion and the definition of marriage being expanded to include, well, you know.



I say all this to say I am pretty proud of myself this year. While I have stood up for what I believe in, I have not gotten into any arguments with anyone. Well, almost. And a couple of rounds of comments don’t necessarily define argument…do they?

I guess what really gets me going is the abortion issue. I’m against it, of course. Well, today I had the opportunity to rationally discuss my opposition and I realized that, besides the obvious reasons for being against it…you know, the part where innocent babies are murdered…I found another very good reason that I am compelled to state my obvious displeasure with this barbaric practice.

It is simply this. I cannot stand when people do not take responsibility for their own actions.

The person I was discussing with actually said my comments indicated I thought the woman was at fault for getting pregnant.

Really? I mean REALLY?


And exactly whose fault is it?

My response was this: It is a woman’s fault she gets pregnant. Unless it’s rape, she can say no. Yes, she needs help in getting pregnant…but, without her there is no pregnancy.

That response opened a can of worms.

Why is it that taking responsibility for one’s own actions is almost unheard of in this day and age? Why do we want to pass the buck?

I have heard it all. The reason I do what I do is because: My parents didn’t raise me right. The kid next door bullied me. My teacher ignored me. My older sibling used to beat me up. The dog ate my homework.

Come on! When is it going to end?

My junk is my junk. All the good, the bad and the ugly in my life are my responsibility. Only I can take responsibility for who I am and the things I do. It’s no one else’s fault. It comes down to me.

Ladies, I will always deplore abortion. You will not change my mind on this. But, if you want me to respect you, take some responsibility for your actions. Own it. Don’t pass the buck. Yeah, the guy is 100% responsible for his own actions as well, but that doesn’t give you a pass.



2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. I too am doing my best to stay out of arguments this cycle, my tongue hurts from biting it.
    Something has been really bugging me though..so many of the women that believe in abortion without any restrictions are animal activist and are constantly asking for money to close kill shelters. Am I crazy or do they value animal life more than human life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, you are absolutely correct. It would seem that all life is not equal after all.

      Delete