Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Days Like This


My momma should have told me there’d be days like this! I should have known it would be “one of those days” when I unfolded the terribly folded towels and redid them to my liking. I like my towels folded “just” so. A long time ago I resigned myself to accept badly folded towels because if I was going to accept help in keeping the house or doing laundry, I was going to have let go of my perfectionist ways.

Today, when I put the towels away, I regressed. I’m sorry to say, the towels were terrible. Some were folded in large uneven squares. Some were long thin rectangles. How could there be any order in the linen closet? I had to redo some of them. They wouldn’t stack. What is a woman to do?

I only refolded the long thin rectangle ones, so, I only partially backslid. It took all of my resolve to leave the rest, but I did. I over came the need for perfect rows of color-coded towels neatly lined up in rows. It was tough, but I managed!

Eventually, I came to realize towels are not going to change the world. Badly folded, neatly folded, tri-folded, it really makes no difference. As long as they are clean, they are acceptable. Isn’t that what God looks for in us? When we stand before Him, it won’t matter what side of the tracks we were from, how rich we were or what color our skin is.

Hebrews 10:22 says Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

God wants us clean. He wants us to draw near to Him and allow Him to wash our minds and our bodies clean from the grime and yuck of the day. He wants us to stand pure and fresh before Him. Totally cleaned by the blood that Jesus shed for us on Calvary. He wants us all; neat, messy, tall, short, fat, thin, you get the idea. It matters not how we are “folded”, only that we are clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment